Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This car is a fucking cunt

THIS ... FUCKING CAR

There, I feel better now. How I hate it's randomness.

I've made no progress of late, as I haven't touched it since Saturday. I have been doing the usual web trawling - there really is not a lot of information on Starions. The forums are based on the 2.6. There is no information on the 2
.0 at all. All the service manuals are American and Australian. I could say I can empathise with all the classic car restorers, but they've got it better than I have, at least there's a community - I am totally on my own with this thing, and I haven't got a clue what's wrong with it.

I'm going to try and break down what's wrong with it:

  • It can't idle properly

When the car is first started, 50% of the time (it's different each day), it cannot idle. Tonight, for example, the car wouldn't start. An hour into it, it was spluttering, but it wouldn't idle at all. Not sure if it was firing on all cylinders or fuel was getting through, I haven't a clue.
What it could be: Injectors, Vacuum leak, Fuel filter, ECU is not working properly, Idle Controller, etc

  • The boost gauge sometimes doesn't work
See previous posts - sometimes the boost doesn't read, sometimes it does. Sometimes it affects the running and idling of the car, and sometimes it doesn't.
What it could be: I've been told it could be the MAP Sensor (see bottom), the Boost Sensor, ECU.

  • Exhaust spits out black soot
Car spits out black soot and 'water' (?) from exhaust under load. Otherwise known as overfuelling, or fucked.
What it could be: Injectors, number of sensors, etc.

I fixed the cruise control unit that broke when I impaled my hand with a sharp implement. I used a straw from a Capri-Sun, used a smaller straw, pushed the small straw through the big one, melted the big straw to the small one, used heat-shrink tubing around the two, put it in the hole, and then used silicon sealant to seal it up. Unfortunately, I broke the homemade straw in a moment of careless-ness, and will have to use some kind of hardening compound to create a straw to put the vacuum pipe on, it was too flimsy.



  1. Homemade straw,
  2. in the Cruise Control Unit.
  3. Broken home made straw in the Cruise Control Unit.
I am purchasing a MAP sensor, correct injectors and a second hand ECU, and that's it. I've been told it's the MAP sensor, as this is the symptom of the boost gauge going funny. Generally changed the vacuum hoses for proper fuel pipes (the only stuff I could get).
Here are some devices that detect vacuum, the box senses boost (and the boost gauge doesn't work with it unplugged)



  1. Tube Vacuum Device and 'Boost Sensor'
  2. Boost Sensor
  3. Tube Vacuum Device (don't know what it is)
  4. How they were plumbed in - they're loose!
So will have to get them mounted somewhere, as I was told they need to be grounded. I can't find the MAP sensor. Cleaning these up proved fruitless. The fourth picture shows two vacuum units mounted to the inside wing, and one of these has a pipe 'un-piped'. I closed it off, and it still ran like shit. I shook the fuel filter slightly and this may have improved the running, but I really am scraping the bottom of the barrel now. I'm going to try and replace the idle motor sensor for one I know works tonight.

No comments: