It wasn't as successful at the previous night - never mind cutting out under load, it wasn't even idling. An hour later of:
- Using timing gun (i hate doing this) - Cuts out in various lumpiness
- Taking apart throttle body again, and making sure crappy gasket is okay (will make a new one out of suitable material today ;) ) - possible difference, less roughness amongst more 100% roughness
- Taking more stuff apart
- Examining rotor cap - maybe improved things a bit
- Putting coolant in - engine whirred as it started and it idled
- Cleaned coolant temperature sensor - took full on load!!
Here's a video of the rev needle. It doesn't seem too bad.
I was even confident to take it for the first drive - around the block! Wahey! Off boost, it's a fairly normal car, but on boost, the car is typically lovely, and as much as I dislike them, it had a nice subtle whoosh from the internal wastegate.
Alas, it was short-lived! The car was having non of it! Here's a video of the car, stuck about a mile away from the house. No load, once again. You may notice the difference in environment, and lack of oil on surface - this house has seen 15 years of oil leakage purely from me!
Now, however, we were not getting blue smoke, but black smoke - a good sign in my eyes. No more blue smoke, I presume, because no more crud in the system? If you're really into seeing black smoke vaguely being emitted from the back of a car, you can see this here!
A quick call to my brother and i'm once again freewheeling home, feeling a bit foolish as people watched the odd looking car being wheeled back on the end of a rope.
What next? I don't know. A quick check on the Starion forum, reveals 2.6 engine injectors and 2.0 engine injectors are not actually the same. But I need more than that. :?